Does Chiropractic help with Neck Pain?
The cervical spine begins at the base of the skull. There are 7 vertebral bones that make up the cervical spine. With the head weighing in around 12 pounds it’s important to have good posture to keep the spine in a stable position for the rest of the spine to stay healthy. The old Tai Chi masters knew that keeping a “Tall” spine was a way to anti-age. Yogi’s know that having a flexible spine is also anti-aging.
The ATLAS is the very first cervical bone in the neck and is one of the most important cervical bones. The Chiropractors of the old days knew that keeping the Atlas in its proper place meant everything to your health. Some people may notice their mind is not clear; not focused and even have balance issues, we know as chiropractors this is usually the Atlas out of place. I know when keeping my 89 year old mother healthy, the Atlas is the key. She had a fall one time and kept losing her balance after that, then after viewing the x-rays it was clear that she had an Atlas issue. After a few adjustments to this particular area, all her symptoms had cleared, she even noticed her mind was more clear and focused again. My experience was similar, after a childhood trauma I suffered migraine headaches for years until finding out it was the Atlas that was out of place. After seeing many medical specialist with no relief my mom took me to the local chiropractor who began working on me until all the headaches had disappeared. So you see as a doctor I am also in the club and that injury led me into the profession that I love so dearly today.
In chiropractic, we call the Atlas the ‘Light bulb” of the body, because when you receive a proper adjustment, you literally wake up! Not all adjustments are the same, there are very specific adjustments that not all chiropractors know. There are a few chiropractors in the field that specialize in upper cervical adjustments, this area of the cervical spine will give you not just a good adjustment, but an experience that can be life changing.
The average American spends more than 9 hours staring at some type of screen today which creates “bad” posture. This extended sitting will create a loss of the cervical curve by itself with no trauma and start symptoms of pain and headaches.
Loss of your Curve causes PAIN
There are several reasons you can be having neck pain and if left untreated it can lead to more serious conditions. If you are like many people today, you want to avoid a surgery, which can take a long time to heal and may only relief some symptoms temporary. Surgery can also create a new problem in another part of your spine, we often see this in our patients. Once you fuse or prevent your spine from moving in its proper range of motion, this will force another part of your spine to move too excessively and make this part unstable. We have a saying in chiropractic; “what happens above, happens below.” This means that your cervical spine and your lumbar spine have a “communication,” as one vertebrae makes a movement, others counter that movement.
An elderly chiropractor once told me that when the first vertebra (Atlas) makes a movement at the top of your spine, the last vertebrae in the lumbar spine (5th vertebrae) always responds by a counter movement. In other words, in you have neck pain, there is a good chance you also have a lower back issue as well. I personally find this to always be true – everything is connected!
While most people these days are staring down at their Smartphone, your spine is doing its best to communicate and counterbalance each other. The problem comes when your body gets accustom to this “bad” position and you lose your curve in your neck. Don’t wait until this happens to you, the longer someone waits the longer it takes to reverse this condition.
Here are some typical causes of Neck Pain
- Sitting or standing in prolonged awkward positions – this is from all the overuse of our technology, hours in uncomfortable positions.
- BAD sleeping positions – many times our pillows are too elevated in a high position or in a low position. Keep the spine straight as you sleep.
- Old Traumas – your pain can be from an accident (which happened many years ago) that finally began to degenerate in your cervical spine.
- Automobile accidents – even being hit from behind at 5 miles per hour can make a bone come out of its position. Whiplash is the most common trauma, which should be seen immediately in the office following an accident.
- Sports injury – many of us have old injuries from sports or from current sport activities. I have injured my neck too many times to count from martial art training, so I do understand this pain. Return the function quickly!
Here are some other areas you may have pain from:
- Degenerative Joint Disease – over time our disc may bulge, herniate and loose disc height. Numbness and tingling will begin to run down your arms and into your hands.
- Spinal Stenosis – when the tiny holes that the nerves exit through become smaller, the nerves get “pinched” or trapped which will cause not only the numbness and tingling, but lose of strength in your arms and hands. Loss of muscle tone will appear next and this becomes an extremely serious condition if not treated.
- Infections – Bacteria, viruses and candida (yeast) can cause havoc on your body, but also in your spine. These are cases we usually co-manage with your medical professional.
- Age-related Degeneration – as we age, it can be natural to have your spine, especially your cervical spine degenerate. These cases can be easily managed since there are numerous techniques available from Dr Price.
The overall condition that we see every day in our office is STRESS. Any human being that is under more stress than their body can handle is just like a automobile, eventually it will break down. Tight and restricted muscles will make anyone very uncomfortable and less productive. Let’s face it, life is stressful – so take care of your car (your body). Even if you feel ok, tune-ups keep your automobile running to handle the everyday demands that are placed upon it. You only get ONE body in this life; please adjust, cleanse and maintain it. Also, give it the good nutrition it needs to handle life as we know it.
Chiropractic Treatments for Neck Pain Houston
Neck Adjustments (cervical manipulation) are chiropractors bread and butter. We don’t “Crack” or “Pop” necks, I tell my patients that is what I do in my Jujutsu class, not to my patients – let’s be clear. There is nothing more relieving to a patient who has had years of neck pain, than to have adjustments to release the stuck or “subluxated” joints. Instantly you will feel a sense of release of pain, this increases blood flow, lymphatic flow and eases the meridian connections. The surrounding muscles can now begin to relax from the malposition of the cervical bones. The next thing you will experience is a more freedom of movement and reduction in pain. Does that sound like something you would like to experience?
Before you think, “is this safe?” Let me ease your fears from what others may have told you. I have adjusted the youngest at 6 days old to 99 years young and there are numerous ways to work with the cervical spine. Most patients prefer the mechanical adjustment that is most common, yet there are hundreds of different adjustments and techniques to perform. There are also techniques like “The Activator,” which uses a very light impulse from a hand held device. Some patients only want these type of treatments which can be just as beneficial. So what I am trying to explain is EVERYBODY is different and we are all unique, one size does not fit all. When your chiropractic treatment begins, there will always be different types of adjustments performed until we find the one that works best for you. Your feedback is essential to your doctor to give you the ultimate chiropractic experience.
Chiropractic has been around for over 100 years in the U.S., yet I have found that since the beginning of time each country has a “Bonesetter” and I have traveled quite a bit over the years and been treated by these people of what I call, “Old World Medicine.” Some were quite simple and I have to admit, some were a little scary. Even the American Indians have a bonesetting style that I have had performed on me, it was very rough, but effective.
So when it comes to you having your cervical spine adjusted, have no fear, it’s a long history of spinal care and with a healthy, safe history here in the U.S. Whatever your fears (usually misinformation by big pharma and the AMA) are on getting the chiropractic care you need, please feel free to discuss this personally with myself on your first visit.
Since my childhood of being treated with chiropractic care, I am confident you will also receive the care and relief you also need.
Chiropractic Treatment Plans for Neck Pain Houston
For many people, their treatment plans will be much less cost effective than any type of surgery or invasive care even when insurance is involved. Most people will be out of pain in just a few sessions, but each case is different. Your plan will be individually “customized” depending on your condition, age and how long you have had your current condition. Patience is what is needed when being treated, your body will heal in the time that it needs. As one doctor said, “a baby takes 9 months to be born, your body heals only as quickly as it can.”
Here is what happens first:
- Comprehensive Exam – You will have a one hour first visit so we can completely examine you and complete our specific testing methods.
- X-rays or MRI – Not everyone needs X-rays or MRI’s in the beginning treatment phase, but if there is trauma or extreme pain we will advise you to have these procedures performed.
- Customized Treatment Plan – one shoe does not fit all, so Dr Price’s treatment plans are very specific to your personal needs.
- Specialized Chiropractic Adjustments – as stated before, Dr Price uses a wide variety of techniques since he has trained for many years with many well-known doctors in the business. Plus Dr Price has his own system that he created that you will get to know and love.